Teresa Power has been practicing yoga for 25 years, and has been teaching yoga to children for the past 8 years. Here she doles out expert tips and advice for doing yoga at home with your children. You can read more about what Teresa says about how yoga can benefit children here. And don’t forget to check out ABC Yoga for Kids, where she offers helpful books, charts, beautifully illustrated by Kathleen Rietz.
10 Tips For Doing At Home With Your Kids
- Try not to eat right before doing yoga.
- Pick a quiet place to practice.
- Do the poses with your child if possible, and take the lead from your child as to when to end the practice.
- Enjoy the time together with your child doing yoga, and try to be in the moment rather than having your mind wander to things you need to get done.
- A good pose to start with is the Candle Pose, to get centered.
- Remember to breathe in and out through your nose when practicing the yoga poses.
- Keep the tone light and fun, and never push children to do more than they are capable of.
- Give your child positive reinforcement to help them learn and improve.
- End your yoga practice with the Do Nothing Pose.
- Play a soothing children’s lullaby while you and your child relax in the Do Nothing Pose. You both will feel relaxed and refreshed after your yoga practice together!
Read more about the benefits of yoga for children.